Saudi Arabia has admitted that it bombed a funeral in the Yemeni capital that killed more than 140 people last week after initially denying it. A statement by a Saudi investigative body said on Saturday the kingdom carried out the strike based on what it called bad information. Saudi warplanes attacked the hall where people were attending a wake for the father of Yemen’s interior minister in Sana’a last Saturday.
Saudi officials initially said their aircraft had not carried out any attack on the Yemeni capital that day.
But on Saturday, the Joint Incidents Assessment Team (JIAT) said air operations officials failed to obtain approval for the strike from commanders in a violation of protocol, according to the statement carried by state news agency SPA.
The JIAT called for a review of rules of engagement and compensation for the families of victims.