A week in the life of Palestinians and Israelis via Mondoweiss(continued pt 2)

Army abducts the former mayor of Ethna
IMEMC 15 Dec — The Palestinian Prisoners Society (PPS) has reported that Israeli soldiers kidnapped, on Thursday at dawn, the former mayor of Ethna [or Idhna] town, west of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank. The Hebron office of the PPS said the soldiers invaded the home of Jamal Tmeizi, 61, violently searched it, causing excessive property damage, and abducted him. It added that the soldiers invaded the town from several directions, and surrounded the former mayor’s home.
Also at dawn, the soldiers invaded many homes in Jenin city, and Jenin refugee camp, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank, abducted two Palestinians, briefly detained and interrogated two others.
http://imemc.org/article/army-abducts-the-former-mayor-of-ethna/

Israeli soldiers abduct a Palestinian child in Silwad
IMEMC 17 Dec — Israeli soldiers abducted, on Friday evening, a Palestinian child in Silwad town, east of the central West Bank city of Ramallah. The Palestinian Prisoners Society (PPS) said the child has been identified as Ward Abdul-Qader Hamed, 15, and that he was abducted after the soldiers stopped him at the western entrance of the town. It is worth mentioning that the abducted child is the son of Qaddoura Fares, the head of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society.
http://imemc.org/article/israeli-soldiers-abduct-a-palestinian-child-in-silwad/

Israeli forces detain Palestinian at Qalqiliya-area checkpoint
HEBRON (Ma‘an) 16 Dec — Israeli forces detained a Palestinian ‘youth’ at a flying checkpoint overnight Friday in the city of Qalqiliya in the northern occupied West Bank. The youth was identified by locals as Salah al-Din al-Titi from Hebron’s al-‘Arrub refugee camp in the southern West Bank. The circumstances of al-Titi’s detention remained unclear. An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma‘an that there Israeli forces did not detain any Palestinians overnight between Thursday and Friday.
http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=774451

Prisoners / Court actions

Israeli court sentences Palestinian woman to five years in prison, releases minor on bail
BETHLEHEM (Ma‘an) 15 Dec — A Palestinian woman Thursday was sentenced to five years in Israeli prison for allegedly plotting a stab attack in occupied East Jerusalem, while a 13-year-old Palestinian was released on bail after being detained earlier in the week for allegedly throwing stones at Israeli soldiers. The Jerusalem District Court sentenced 29-year-old Ataya Abu Aisha from the village of Kafr ‘Aqab in the occupied West Bank district of Jerusalem to five years in Israeli prison for planning to carry out a stab attack with a screwdriver in December 2015, according to Israeli media outlet Ynet. She was detained by Israeli forces at Damascus Gate outside the Old City in East Jerusalem after reportedly “arousing the suspicions of police officers,” who searched her and allegedly discovered a screwdriver they claim was to be used in an attack.
Meanwhile, in a separate incident, an Israeli court issued a final sentence against 13-year-old Palestinian Samir Raja Daraghmeh, releasing him from Israeli prison on a 1,500 shekel ($389) bail after he was detained on Monday for allegedly throwing stones at Israeli settlers’ vehicles in the northern West Bank, according to Munther Abu Ahmad, a lawyer from the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS). While Daraghmeh was initially reported as being 15-years-old, PPS has reported his age as 13. Ahmad highlighted that the teenager was to be released by Israeli authorities this week, but his detention was extended on Tuesday after an appeal was presented by the Israeli prosecution objecting to the boy’s release. Samir is from the village of al-Lubban al-Sharqiya in the northern occupied West Bank district of Nablus, and according to Abu Ahmad, he suffers from medical issues after sustaining injuries in a car accident and having parts of his kidneys and liver removed last year. Israeli police spokeswoman Luba al-Samri said Monday that Samir was among a number of Palestinian minors who were throwing stones at Israeli cars on Route 60 opposite al-Lubban al-Sharqiya, but Israeli forces were unable to detain the others involved in the alleged rock throwing.
http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=774448

2 appeals submitted to Israeli Supreme Court for release of hunger-striking prisoners
BETHLEHEM (Ma‘an) 16 Dec — Two appeals have been submitted to the Israeli Supreme Court for the immediate release of hunger strikers Anas Shadid and Ahmad Abu Farah by the Palestinian Committee of Prisoners’ Affairs and Israel’s Physicians for Human Rights, according to statements released Thursday and Friday. The Palestinian Committee of Prisoners’ Affairs said in a statement that lawyer Ahlam Haddad has filed a second appeal to the Israeli Supreme Court on Thursday demanding the release of Shadid, 20, and Abu Farah, 29, who have gone without food for 83 and 84 days, respectively. The committee said that the appeal was filed in response to the dangerous deterioration of the prisoners’ health conditions on their fourth day of rejecting water. On Monday, the hunger strikers began refusing water in response to an Israeli Supreme Court rejection of their release appeal. The drastic move came following a series of events that morning, in which the Israeli Supreme Court rejected Haddad’s appeal to release the two, while Israeli prosecutors instead called for the extension of their administrative detention orders….
http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=774459

Palestinian lawyers file appeal against detention of hunger-striking Palestinian prisoner
RAMALLAH (Ma‘an) 15 Dec — A lawyer from the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS) said in a statement Thursday that an appeal has been filed with the Israeli Supreme Court after the court confirmed the administrative detention — internment without charge or trial — of Palestinian hunger striker Ammar Ibrahim Hamour, who has gone without food for 24 days in protest of his detention.  PPS  lawyer Ahmad Safiya said that the organization was still awaiting the court session that would issue a final order regarding the appeal submitted against Hamour’s administrative detention, noting that the hunger striker’s detention is set to end on Feb. 14, 2017. Hamour, 28 declared a hunger strike last month in protest of being held without charge or trial for more than nine months. He is currently being held in solitary confinement in Israel’s Ashkelon prison. Israeli authorities have issued two six-month administrative detention orders against Hamour since he was initially detained by Israeli forces. Hamour is from the village of Jabaa in the Jenin district of the northern occupied West Bank….
http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=774443

#FreeSalah update: Next court hearing on December 20
StoptheWall 15 Dec — Still the Israeli military courts have not decided on the case of Salah Khawaja. As well today the case has been adjourned, this time until December 20. This will bring Salah’s incarceration to almost two months. Please help us to keep up the pressure! Write to your government representatives and diplomatic missions in Palestine now to ask their intervention to stop Israeli repression of Palestinian human rights defenders. [Background: Stop the Wall member Salah Khawaja arrested]
http://stopthewall.org/2016/12/15/freesalah-update-next-court-hearing-december-20

Israel among world’s worst jailers of journalists
EI 16 Dec by Ali Abunimah — As of 1 December, there were 259 journalists jailed worldwide, according to the annual census conducted by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) – the highest number on record. By far the largest group, 81 journalists, are detained in Turkey, followed by China (38) and Egypt (25). Israel is holding 7 journalists, according to CPJ, which puts it on a par with Syria and Bahrain, just behind Iran (8) and ahead of Saudi Arabia (6). Among those currently detained is Omar Nazzal, who was arrested by the Israeli military in April at the crossing between the occupied West Bank and Jordan as he was en route to a meeting of the European Federation of Journalists in Sarajevo. Since then, Nazzal has been held without charge or trial. “In the weeks before his arrest, Nazzal shared statements on Facebook criticizing Israel’s crackdown on Palestinian media, including the closure of Palestine Today, an Islamic Jihad-affiliated TV channel” that was raided and shut down by the Israeli army in March 2016, according to CPJ. In November, Israel renewed Nazzal’s administrative detention for another six months. Four of the journalists currently detained by Israel are Ahmad Darawish, Muhammad Imran, Muntasir Nassar and Nidal Amro, who work for al-Sanabel Radio. All were arrested by Israeli forces during night raids on their homes on 31 August in the occupied West Bank village of Dura, near Hebron. The Israeli military indicted the men for “incitement” – an accusation frequently leveled at Palestinian journalists, social media users and even university professors and poets who express criticism of or report on Israel’s occupation … CPJ acknowledges that its census is “a snapshot of those incarcerated” on 1 December and therefore “does not include the many journalists imprisoned and released throughout the year.”  In June, Palestinian prisoners’ rights group Addameer reported that 21 Palestinian journalists were behind Israeli bars. Since then a number have been released, including Samah Dweik, who completed nearly six months in prison in September for writing a status and sharing an image on her Facebook page in support of Palestinians who had recently been slain by Israeli forces….
https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/israel-among-worlds-worst-jailers-journalists

Israel renews administrative detention of Palestinian journalist Omar Nazzal
RAMALLAH (Ma‘an) 15 Dec — Israeli authorities Monday extended for the third time prominent Palestinian journalist Omar Nazzal’s administrative detention — internment without charge or trial — for an additional three months, according to a statement released Tuesday by prisoners’ rights group Addameer. According to Addameer, Nazzal’s detention was extended once again despite the fact that his second renewal was on Nov. 21 when Israeli authorities extended his detention for one-and-a-half months, as the imprisoned journalist was expected to be released on Dec. 24. Nazzal, a member of the Palestinian Journalists’ Syndicate, was detained by Israeli forces in April and placed under Israel’s widely condemnded policy of administrative detention, where he launched a hunger strike on Aug. 4.….
http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=774450

– See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2016/12/describes-israeli-cleansing/?utm_source=Mondoweiss+List&utm_campaign=792deab493-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b86bace129-792deab493-398536869&mc_cid=792deab493&mc_eid=189b366097#sthash.Wzxgaw9K.dpuf

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s